19 October, 2009

Sweater Weather Recipe

I am currently sitting with a cup of hot tea, next to my space heater, and wearing two shirts and long trousers. It's cold out.

There are lots of things I enjoy doing when it's cold out: smoking, sleeping, walking on campus, wearing sweaters/scarves/knit tights/etc, and making good, cold weather food.

A few months ago, a friend of a family member had a death in their family and, as is proper behavior, I was asked to make some food to bring the family because they were largely vegetarians and I am one, too. I decided to make some soup using what I had around. It turned out fabulously and is now one of my favorite things to have when it's cold or rainy (or, if I'm lucky, both!). It's easy to make but it also makes a mess. It's also really customizable (don't like something? Substitute something else!).

Best Vegetarian Soup:

You'll need:

1/2 cup (or more depending on how much you like beans, I sometimes use a whole cup) mixed beans. You can buy a pretty big bag for cheap at Wal-Mart with, like, 15 varieties
3-5 Potatoes (I like to use more beans, less potatoes but this also depends on the size of the potatoes)
1 large-ish onion
2 carrots (or more, I like more)
2 celery stalks
2 cups of vegetable stock (or, if you aren't vegetarian, chicken broth should be fine, too. I, obviously, haven't tried it)
Vegetable Oil
Salt & Pepper

1. Cover the beans with water in a pot. Bring the pot to a boil and cook the beans for about 10 minutes. After that, put the whole thing on a back burner on medium to low heat and let them simmer whilst you're doing everything else.

2. Peel the potatoes and cut them up into about bite-sized pieces. Put them into another pot and boil them until they're soft with a little bit of salt. Should take around 10 minutes unless you have a lot of potatoes. When they're done, drain them and set them somewhere to the side.

3. Peel your carrots and then slice them up into bite-sized bits. Ditto the celery. Next, peel and chop up your entire onion. Pour some vegetable oil in a skillet (I like to use my wok) and let it heat for a minute or two before adding your onion. Cook the onion until it becomes transparent and then add the carrots and celery. Cook that for about 7 minutes and then add the vegetable stock. Cook this mixture for about another ten minutes.

4. Check your beans. Are they soft or at least soft-ish? If yes, go ahead and add the beans (bean-water and all) to the vegetable stuff. Then add the potatoes. Put it all in something oven-safe and add salt and pepper. Then put the whole thing in the oven and cook it at 400° for about 30 minutes or until it bubbles. Take it out very carefully and serve.

I think it goes well with some fresh bread (the crustier, the better) or multi-grain Club Crackers. It also stores really well in the fridge or freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment